We love hardwood floors, like so many others. They are shiny, elegant and natural – without having to be a luxury. You can personalize them with different patterns and stains, and once your home is filled with them, you don’t want to consider carpet again. But once you’ve had them installed and you’re sitting back enjoying them, it’s important to make sure you’re caring for them in the best way possible.
That’s why we at Unique Home Building want to leave you with our best tips to caring for your hardwood floors.
- Remove shoes when indoors. It’s becoming quite common, so don’t worry about inconveniencing your guests. They’ll be just fine.
- Sweep or vacuum regularly.
- Wipe up spills immediately.
- Stick to gentle cleaners.
More Details on the above basic care.
- Once a week, make sure to use a dust mop for loose dirt, hair, animal shedding, dust and other debris. It’s pretty easy to find cloths that are electrostatic, disposable or even wood cleaning sprays. You can also simply sweep or vacuum it up. Just be sure you do the more detailed method on a weekly basis.
- Monthly, commit to cleaning the whole area with a product meant just for for hardwoods. Be sure to follow the directions and not to leave too much or standing water on the floor, because you will damage the floors permanently. Use a sponge or mop and rinse as needed.
Scuffs and Other Marks
Scuffs happen. They usually happen from dragging items, furniture and shoes. So first of all, keep those shoes off indoors. Second, place felt pads on the underside of all furniture. Lastly, if you do get scuffs, they’re relatively easy to get out. Here’s how:
- Pencil Eraser. This is the easiest and is best for small scuffs.
- Scuff Eraser. Meant for bigger jobs, and can be found at most hardware stores.
- Acetone. For more stubborn scuffs, but be careful. Acetone is strong and can dry out the surface of the wood. So make sure to follow up with an oil-based solvent to restore shine and condition.
- Lastly, a more natural option is a paste made from baking soda and vinegar. Let the paste sit for about an hour and then scrub off with a dish pad or paper towel.
We at Unique are regularly finishing the room additions and remodels with wood floors, because they are sleek and convenient. Wood floors are an accessible luxury you deserve to enjoy in your home. So be educated and know how to take good care of them.
Be sure to contact Unique Home Building for all your remodeling and home care needs!