Your Kitchen Is the Most Complicated Room in the Home
|See more Dallas kitchen remodel pictures in our website’s gallery.
You may only remodel your Dallas kitchen once in your lifetime. A really well designed kitchen can last 25 years or longer without any major changes. If you only do something once in life, you need to work extra hard to get it right the first time. Unfortunately, many homeowners do not take the time to get it right and are very disappointed in the outcome.
Don’t Make These Mistakes When Doing Your Kitchen Remodel
- Do not start without a budget – Seriously consider the maximum you want to pay. Almost all remodeling projects cost people twice what the expect. Don’t create your plan around some hazy expectation. A good kitchen remodeling contractor can build you a fantastic kitchen within your budget
- Don’t underestimate of overestimate cabinet space needs – Probably the number one disappointment after building a new kitchen is underbuilding cabinets. You sure thought you had enough in the plan! The way to determine your cabinet needs is by writing up a list of EVERTHING you want to put in cabinets. What would be your perfect set of pots and pans, baking items, storage containers, table settings, linens, pantry foods, spices, cleaning supplies, etc. An experienced kitchen contractor will be able to lay it out based on your needs.
- Don’t forget about lighting – Lighting sets the mood of the room. There are so many lighting options today that will allow you to provide low-energy but perfect lighting to spotlight work areas and optimize outdoor lighting.
- Don’t design the kitchen until you pick out the appliances – You want the kitchen layout to be such that it is possible to use different appliances in the future, but you don’t want to be too limited on the perfect kitchen you are working towards. Go appliance shopping first.
- Don’t layout the kitchen until you plan the plumbing – You need sinks, faucets, dishwasher, water filters, gas lines, water for the refrigerator, water to the center island or wet bar. Anything else? One of the most expensive cost in any remodel is the plumbing. How you layout the kitchen will effect how much it will cost to move and install new plumbing.
- Don’t go cheap on cabinet and drawer hardware – Great hinges and sliders will make you happy for years and years. Cheap ones will have you mumbling under your breath.
- Don’t assume your contractor or designer knows everything – Shop offline and off. Check out model homes in upscale developments. Go to home shows. Your designer may not be thinking about pot drawers, corner cabinets with lazy susans, space saving options on pantries, or the latest in lighting systems.
- Don’t scrimp on the flooring, cabinets, and counters – You are going to be staring at that floor, counter top, and those cabinets for years into the future. You want them to be easy to maintain, and to clean. You want them to be scratch and chip resistant. You want them to look good together.
- Do not use a handyman, big box retailer like Home Depot, or high pressure sales organization to do your kitchen – There is a lot of money to be made in kitchen remodeling. Therefore there are plenty of companies who will try to make a lot of money off of you. Instead, here is how you should select the licensed general contractor to do your work:
When you decide to take the big step of getting a new kitchen, you do not want to choose just anyone to do the work. You will want to choose an experienced general contractor to be with you throughout the process who has a flawless reputation for integrity, quality, and completing jobs on time and within budget.
You will want someone who will listen to your dreams and goals for the project without preconceived notions or preferences for certain approaches that might differ from your desires. This is a huge investment for your family and your future, and you will want to enjoy your new kitchen for many years to come. Your kitchen should meet the needs of your lifestyle and be a place you love to spend time in.
Unique Properties can provide you with many client references who will give enthusiastic reviews of the work we have done. Call us today to set an appointment! 214-533-0716
Here is a detailed post on how to hire a contractor – http://uniquehomeconstruction.blogspot.com/2013/03/5-ways-to-check-out-your-dallas-builder.html
If you liked this article, you might also like 10 Amazing Technologies for Your Dallas remodeling Project
If you liked this article, post about it or tell others on your Facebook updates. If you have other Don’t’s about kitchen remodeling, share those below in the comments. If you’d like to be kept aware of new articles we write here, subscribe to us or use your RSS feed. Link up to us at LinkedIn or Like us on Facebook.
We would really appreciate a +1 on Google. You can follow us there, too!