Should you remodel your home?This is a popular question in the minds of home owners all over. Wouldn’t it be great if you could sort through the confusion and feel confident in your choice? Home Renovation can be a costly and inconvenient ordeal when gone about poorly. So, before you jump into renovations, make sure you have have a plan, a reliable contractor, and are ready to commit to the process!
The two main reasons most people renovate their homes is to add comfort, use and value to the home or to prepare it for sale. In the end, the bigger question – the first question should be, what are your long term motivations?
Will you stay or sell?
Staying in the home
If you intend to stay in the home you may want to:
- Add extra space to accommodate an expanding family, or simply to add a sense of spaciousness.
- Add rooms for special purposes, such as an office, game room or extra bath.
- Change the layout of the house for better flow, use or relation to sun and views.
- Update to give the house a fresher, more modern look – this could involve taking out walls to enlarge a room, putting in a new kitchen, or installing new lighting and ceilings.
- Restore the house to its original style (while adding modern features in some areas, like the kitchen and bathroom).
- Add value to increase your investment.
Renovating to sell
If you are renovating to create better resale value, you’ll likely want to give the house an inexpensive face lift to freshen it up and make it more attractive to buyers. For example, repainting, or changing dated or damaged fixtures, such as a cracked sink in the bathroom.
Be aware of what your potential buyers will be looking for. You’d be wise to keep everything fairly neutral to appeal to a wider range of people. Not everyone warms to bright feature walls or turquoise bathtubs.
Renovations that will increase the aesthetic appeal of your home may include accent painting in the kitchen and bathroom, or installing a deck to give an indoor-outdoor flow and an increased sense of space or some landscaping.
Just be sure no to spend money that you won’t get back from the sale price. You could even consult a real estate agent for ideas to increase the house’s appeal, and how much you should spend without over investing.
Remodeling is detailed and costly process that benefits you in the short and long term. As time goes by, your home will only decrease or increase in value. So whether or not you choose to sell soon, or enjoy it for years to come, you can better the quality of it to benefit you in both cases. We understand that it can be overwhelming though and our contractors at Unique Home Building in Dallas, Texas are here to make this the best situation experience we can, for you! Call us today to let us know how we can help!